Sweet Potato Brownies
These brownies are the perfect treat for children, adults, and all ages in between! The sweet potato helps to make these tasty treats nice and moist and the honey adds just enough sweetness to make these brownies tasty, without being overly rich. And, the best part about these chocolaty goodies-They are much lower in calories, sugar, and fat than typical recipes so you shouldn't feel guilty about having a couple yourself or even making a batch for the kiddos to snack on!
- 1 cup almond, rice, or other gluten-free flour
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 1 cup cooked sweet potato
- 1/2 cup honey or pure maple syrup
- 1/4 cup coconut oil
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 3 eggs (organic if possible)
- Coconut oil (to grease pan)
Icing Ingredients (Optional, Icing not pictured):
- 1/2 cup low-fat plain cream cheese
- 3 tbsp honey or pure maple syrup
- 1 tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon, ground
- 1 tbsp water (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Prepare brownies: Combine flour, cocoa powder, baking powder and salt in a medium bowl and set aside.
- In a food processor, combine sweet potato, honey or maple syrup, oil and vanilla. Purée until combined and smooth.
- Gradually mix wet ingredients into dry ingredients, until just combined; do not over-mix.
- In a separate dry bowl, whisk egg whites until fluffy. Then, using a rubber spatula, gently fold egg whites into batter.
- Lightly spray sides of baking pan (9 x 9 x 2-inch) with cooking spray. Pour batter into pan and place into oven. Bake for about 16 to 18 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Remove pan from oven and allow brownies to cool to room temperature, about 30 minutes.
- While brownies are cooking or cooling, prepare icing: In a small bowl, combine cream cheese, honey or maple syrup, cocoa powder and cinnamon. Whisk until incorporated, adding 1 tbsp water if mixture is hard to whisk. Cover and refrigerate until needed.
- Loosen brownie and turn slab out onto a cutting board or platter. Cut into 16 pieces, wrap with plastic wrap and refrigerate overnight.
- To serve, divide icing evenly over each brownie and serve immediately. Leftovers may be kept refrigerated in a resealable container for up to 2 days
Per Brownie: Calories: 140, Total Fat: 5 g, Sat. Fat: 1.5 g, Carbs: 21 g, Fiber: 2 g, Sugars: 12 g, Protein: 4 g, Sodium: 75 mg, Cholesterol: 5 mg